There are many advantages to working with independent PR consultants, and thousands of organizations every day select the benefits of working with a Solo PR Pro over the alternative options.
Members of Solo PR PRO Premium recently had fun brainstorming around this topic in our private Facebook Group, and the result is this quick crowdsourced video (created for us by member Greg Brooks):
If you can't see the video, view it on YouTube.
A little more detail on these top 5 points from our crowdsourced discussion:
1. Solo PR Pros are some of the most skilled public relations professionals in the world, accessible to organizations that aren’t a fit for big agencies
2. Get real value and results through senior-level attention and guidance – no junior staff bait and switch!
3. Consultants are more flexible – scaling up and down as your needs warrant. We have vast networks and put together custom teams specific to the needs of each client (no cookie cutter approach).
4. PR consultants develop strong ties to clients and share their passion – true partners, not just vendors
5. Indies are innovative and agile industry leaders – not constrained by a job description, we quickly add new skill sets and respond to market changes.
If you're an indie consultant, what would you add to the list? If you're considering hiring a Solo PR Pro, what questions do you have that we can help answer for you? Just let us know in the comments!
I’m not a publicist but I train publicists and create a wide variety of products on how to generate publicity. One of the biggest reasons to hire an independent publicist is because their overhead is much lower than the big PR company on the 18th floor downtown, and their rates are usually much more affordable. In other words, you get greater value for the dollar.
This is a great video and it makes me proud to be a solo PR pro!
As a solo PR pro – specializing in healthcare IT – I found myself shaking my head in agreement, particularly when it comes to our passion that makes us more than a vendor. We’re a true partner, an extension of our clients. In my case, I work primarily with start-ups and small businesses looking to generate buzz for their businesses (thus Bumble PR! http://www.bumblepr.com) so my ability to remain flexible and go above and beyond is what helps me retain and attract clients.
Great point, Joan. You’re right that cost effectiveness is a big benefit, and indies are usually much more nimble and efficient than organizations with more structure. Interestingly, most Solo PR Pros find that while bang for the buck is one of the initial attractions for many, it’s the value of having day-to-day access to a high-level PR pro that long-term clients view as priceless. Thanks for weighing in!
Thanks, Karen. 🙂
Going above and beyond is a hallmark of successful independent PR consultants, and as you’ve found, it’s the key to long term success. Good for you!
I absolutely love this video, excellent job Greg and everyone who contributed!