On the second Wednesday in January, we joined forces with #SMchat for one of our popular combo Twitter chats with that group. The questions centered on the topic Is Social Media Marketing Its Own Discipline?
Participants weighed in with opinions and insight on the following topics of interest:
- Should social media marketing be in its own department – why or why not?
- What functions will social media specialists perform in 2015? Is this different from prior years?
- When does it make sense to have specialized social media marketers at the table & when is it overkill?
- Are social media marketers burning out? Are the jobs disappearing? Both? Neither?
- Is social media marketing for specialists only, for all employees, or some combination of both?
A few of the top tweets are highlighted below (followed by a link to the full transcript):
Be sure to check out the transcript in PDF for the full discussion. If you weren’t able to join us this week, weigh in on the chat questions in the comments!
In case you missed it, the #solopr chat has moved to a twice monthly schedule. We meet the second and fourth Wednesday of each month from 1-2 p.m. Eastern – a regular ritual for some of the savviest PR pros on Twitter. Anyone with a Twitter account is welcome to participate. If you’re looking for immediate answers to your questions and real-time access to wisdom from veteran pros, join us as a Premium member of Solo PR Pro – our private Facebook group is available 24/7.