If you’re like many these days, you’re probably spending a lot of time seeking new business and slogging it out with client work to pay the bills. Solo PR Pros, like the rest of the world, are under more pressure than usual, so we need to make sure we occasionally have a little fun to avoid burnout.
To truly appreciate the joys of being your own boss, I suggest you indulge yourself in at least one “guilty pleasure” a week. It doesn’t have to be time consuming, and something as simple as a quick mid-day walk outside can do wonders to clear the cobwebs.
When it comes to guilty pleasures, we’ve all got ‘em! Here’s a (mostly anonymous) list from some of my Twitter friends, with a few of mine thrown in for good measure:
- Take a lunch break and watch questionable television shows you’ve Tivo’d (The View, Judge Judy, and VH1’s Metal Mania were among those mentioned)
- Maria Johnson suggests enjoying “the secret pj's and the 10 step commute”
- Visit Urban Dictionary and check out their Word of the Day for a chuckle (sometimes not for the easily offended – yes, this one’s mine!)
- Take your dogs for a walk – to the beach, if you’re lucky
- Bake cinnamon swirl bread or oatmeal choc chip walnut cookies
- Take a power nap
- Run errands/shop in the middle of the day to avoid the crowds
- “Forget” to shower
- Take a silly quiz on Facebook
- Call a friend to chat about nothing at all
So if your derriere is sore from sitting at your desk for too long, it may be time to take 15 minutes for yourself. To run a successful business you need to take care of the boss – you!
How about you? What’s your guilty pleasure?