If there’s one key question for freelance PR consultants, both newbies and veterans alike, it’s this one. Of course, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and over the years we’ve addressed many aspects of this complex question here on the blog.
Did you miss a few? That’s OK – to give you a one-stop resource, we’ve compiled this roundup of our top posts on the topic of setting rates and structuring fees for maximum profit (hope you find it useful):
- Why are consultants’ fees so high? – When setting rates, be sure to take into account the factors outlined in this article.
- Setting Rates: A Field Guide – What should you charge? More to the point: Why aren’t you charging more?
- Advice on Setting Fees [video] – What are some of the most common mistakes consultants make when setting their fees? Kellye Crane and Jenny Schmitt (@Cloudspark on Twitter) share them in this video.
Avoiding Potential Pitfalls
- To Free, or Not to Free – Is it worse to work for free than to not work at all? This post outlines why I say yes, it is.
- The Most Important Word for You to Know – Scope creep will cost you money, enthusiasm, and (it often feels like) your sanity. Here’s how to avoid it.
- Foolproof Formula for Handling Brain Pickers – Part fun and part truth, we boil it down to an actual formula.
Beyond the Hourly Rate
- Cost, Price, and Value – There is a Difference – Solo PR Pro strives to bring you new ideas and information on alternative practices for your reference. This post covers value pricing, which is focused on outcomes.
- Pondering Pay for Performance – A compilation of the wisdom of the Solo PR community on the subject of performance-based bonuses and fees.
Do you have any burning questions we haven’t covered yet? Let us know in the comments, and we’ll respond here or in a future post!